In 2021 FRAME launched a new innovation grant funding stream for pilot projects aiming to replace the use of animals in biomedical research.
Purpose of the FRAME Grants
FRAME exists to promote better science and a more humane and compassionate society by the replacement of animals in medical experiments, drug development and testing.
FRAME believes that the accepted practice of using animals for researching human drugs and diseases is fundamentally flawed; however viable human-focussed methods do not yet exist in all areas.
We accept that the path to animal-free medical research, drug development and testing will be long. It requires both the existence of suitable alternative methods, and culture change by scientists, regulators, funders, and journals.
The Innovation Grants are a pilot project funding stream designed to provide small grants to enable scientists to explore innovative ideas and generate proof of principle, to support applications for larger grants in the future.
All applications for funding will be judged against the following key criteria:
- Fit with FRAME’s mission and charitable purpose
- Scientific innovation and advancement
- Human relevance of the outcomes of the proposal
- Scale of likely impact on replacing animal use
Closing date this year: 14th September 2021
- FRAME does not fund any projects involving research on live animals or invertebrates. This includes work on reduction and refinement. In line with our mission, we wish to support projects demonstrating excellent science, and innovative, human-focussed, non-animal research. Applicants whose projects focus on reduction, refinement or animal welfare might wish to consider look for funding via other sources, such as NC3Rs.
- Applications must indicate other potential and confirmed funding sources for the project.
- As part of the FRAME ethos please be aware, we expect the outcomes and methods of these projects to be made publicly available and accessible to non-specialists. If this incurs costs, for example for open access publishing, these can be included and considered as part of the application.
- We also expect that the project will contribute to the skills development of the researcher and/or progress their career in alternatives research.
The lead applicant will be the grant holder.
- The lead applicant must be resident in the UK or Ireland and the project based here (overseas researchers cannot be the lead applicant but can be included as collaborators). The lead applicant must hold a post (for the duration of the project and beyond) at a recognised UK higher education institution, non-profit organisation, research centre or relevant industry setting and have the support and facilities there to carry out the project.
- We will also consider applications from early career researchers with a fellowship grant code, and post doc students.
- The lead applicant must hold a PhD.
Innovation Grant awards are likely to be around £5k-£6k each, however we will consider project applications up to a maximum of £15k. All applications must be supported by a detailed budget outlining anticipated costs, this grant does not cover salaries. Projects must have a duration of between 6 months and 2 years The Innovation Grant call will open annually at the end of March, applications must be received by September, with successful projects having a suggested start in January the following year.
Grant applications will be reviewed by a panel of academics including at least one member of the FRAME Trustee board, FRAME CEO and where possible an expert in the relevant field.
There is no set length for applications however they must include at minimum the information specified in the Innovation grant application checklist, and the requested supporting documents.
Send completed applications to email@example.com by the 14th September 2021 along with:
- 1 side A4 abridged CV for the lead applicant and other key researchers
- Name and credentials of the supervisor (If relevant)
- Referee contact details with supporting statement letter for the lead applicant
- Signed copy of the Frame Innovation Grant FRAME Innovation Grant Terms & Conditions by the Host Institution.