FRAMEs Innovation Grant Scheme 2023 is no longer accepting applications
The FRAME Innovation Grant funding stream provides small grants for studies that will support the replacement of animals in biomedical research.
FRAME launched the annual Innovation grant scheme in 2021 to address a gap in small funding pots for proof of principle research and pilot projects. The scheme offers grants of around £5,000 but will consider applications asking up to £15,000. Projects should last between 6 months and 2 years. The first two years of this scheme proved very popular and we funded some diverse and interesting projects.
Purpose of the Innovation Grant scheme
We believe that the accepted practice of using animals for researching human drugs and diseases is fundamentally flawed; however viable human-focussed methods do not yet exist in all areas.
The Innovation Grants are a pilot project funding stream designed to provide small grants to enable scientists to explore innovative ideas, methods and techniques, and where relevant help generate proof of principle data to support applications for larger grants in the future.
All applications for funding will be judged by a panel of academics, FRAME staff, and where possible an expert in the relevant field, against the following key criteria:
- Fit with FRAME’s mission and charitable purpose
- Scientific innovation and advancement
- Human relevance of the outcomes of the proposal
- Scale of likely impact on replacing animal use
The Innovation Grant Scheme will open again in spring 2024
Provisional dates for next stages (2023):
- Invitations for round 2 will be sent out: First week of August 2023
- Deadline for round 2 applications: Sunday 24th September 2023
- Announcements of winners: First week of November 2023